MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

it's time to put the "strop" back into stroppy blog

What do you know? Moon's been quite upbeat of late. And why might that be? Because I've had no need to phone any major bank, NTL or orange (no, not the fruit). Well today marks the return of infuriation.

I go to San Francisco on Monday, so I have to sort a few things out. Like checking my phone will work (1), getting currency sorted (2) and ensuring that my Visa will work (3).

(1) Cue Orange not to give sufficient details on the website, instructing you to call them. You do so and are told you didn't need to. Good job I have nothing better to do with my time.

(2) I wanted to find out how much it will cost me to change my quids. "0% commission" usually translates as "but our exchange rate will rip you off, sucker". I tried to find out from HSBC online. To no avail. I went to the branch. So they would only let me pay from their account, not the one I wanted to pay from. And only after they had refused to accept my signature that differed slightly from the one on my card to their electronic version (which, incidentally, I have no idea how they obtained). Bastards. Then they try to lure you into agreeing to circulate your details to third parties who spam you relentlessly. They were still substantially cheaper than the wanky Post Office, mind. Don't even get me started on them. Or Royal Mail. Utter bastards.

(3) When I graced Australasia with my presence almost a whole year ago I had to alert Barclays that I was going, otherwise they would apparently have frozen my card for fear of fraudulent use. Fair enough, methinks, they're being secure. So I trot along to the branch to alert them of my travels this year, despite the fact that last time they forgot to remove the security setting (totally their fault), meaning they refused to issue me with a replacement card after I had been mugged. Again. Did I get an apology? No no no. So I reach the branch, tell them that I wish to alert them that I'm going to be using my card abroad and wish them to log it etc, which warrants the retort, "why are you telling me about it?". Rude shitbags. They wanted to know last year. They tell me to pick a leaflet up and call someone. They won't do it for me. It took 7 minutes to be connected to someone with a real, non-automated voice after being passed around through different menu options (sometimes reaching the same one twice). Luckily for Barclays the real voice was a pleasant one. If I don't like the sound of them they usually get a good shouting.

So it's been a good day all in all. And it's only lunchtime. Add this to the fact that Leeds library can't tell you the difference between documents direct and documents supply services (this took about an hour to resolve) and the fact that United Airlines refuse to tell you how much your luggage allowance is (many phone calls, webclicks and swearings later I discover that it is bugger all) AND that Abebooks (and their distributor) have been ignoring my emails enquiring as to where my Dr Seuss book has gone to (I ordered it 6 weeks ago, paid and have received nothing. I need my Dr Seuss fix!)...

...it makes for one stroppy day.

When did things become so difficult? I feel like I've adopted grumpy old woman syndrome already.

Steve visited last night, at least. He wasn't overly keen on the paint fumes, but did appreciate the new clashing aubergine theme. Pictures will follow when I'm back from my travels and have eventually put some decent curtains up. Oh what an exciting world... blogging about Barclays and curtains.

Hope all well!

Moon. xxx

PS Everyone's sunflowers are looking good! Mine are stil rather small. Like all the best things. But at least they are wholly organic and have won their battles against the elements. I shall not give up on them yet! I am a little concerned about going away for 10 days, being back for 5 then going away for another 14, though. Nature will have to take its course I suppose.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:38 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    PS AND the BBC never seem to publish my comments why I write to them. And I'm always nice. Bastards!!

     
  • At 1:56 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    Oh dear, Moon. What you need is a cup of tea and a pink doughnut from greggs. Failing that, sack the day off and go for a pint. I daresay someone in that alcoholic department will join you. Best not to get me started on call centres, but I have now learned that if you don't press any buttons when they ask you to, you get through to a real peron much quicker. which doctor seuss is it? I like the tale of the onceler. if youre feeling adventurous, buy the book about the animals tripping over the anthill.

     
  • At 2:57 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    The Lorax one (Once-ler)? I haven't read it but know of it. I'm a little worried about ordering more Dr Seuss after this ordeal, but may well take your advice when the day's rage has lessened.

    Thanks for advice! Have already had tea (actually am wondering if excessive caffeine may explain slightly jittery energetic anger) but something sweet sounds good. Mmm donut...!

     
  • At 4:20 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    Could you ask Ak nicely to go round and water them for you?

    Don't use the Royal Mail for currency. I did for my recent Riga trip and the cretins told me to collect them from a branch that ceased operating several weeks ago. On the plus side, they did send me a very apologetic letter and gave me a £10 gift voucher.

     
  • At 6:02 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    I should bloody well hope they apologised! Am generally unimpressed with Royal Mail, not just for currency.

    Yes perhaps Ak will kindly water the flowers (and a runner bean - woo! Oh and roses and my 2 blooming pots of purpley flowers). I shall trust him not to sabotage them.

    Thanks for kind words! Feeling slightly less enraged, now.

     
  • At 6:03 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    PS It was Horton hears a who!

     
  • At 3:47 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    I know not of this book. Must be the tale of the lorax I mean. I saw a feature length film of that once and it was AMAZING. Andrew and I still use the phrase 'you need a thneed'. Yeah, we are a bit weird though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image