MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Thursday, April 26, 2007

You're a total shambles, you're hired. Love Leeds Metropolitan University.

So I've got a job. Oh yes, all teaching and no research career for me. At least I can now start househunting yet again. One day I might settle somewhere for more than 12 months. The difficulty comes with wanting somewhere city central with 2 bedrooms, safe, secure, within walking distance of work and a supermarket (impossible in Leeds - where are the supermarkets? Central Morrisons is a dive), somewhere that would make a suitable home for a large dog, and all for £50/month. Suggestions greatly welcomed.

Yes it's been a while. Nothing to blog about specifically but pictures of the new sunflower garden will soon follow. How exciting! I still have reservations regarding the whole gardening hobby. I have always brutally scoffed at young gardeners, especially my sister, claiming that people should only start gardening once they are unable to produce their own offspring. Of course my involvement in the sunflower growing competition (which I will win*) directly invites my old insults to be thrown back at me. Mum already has chosen me some patterned wellies. Actually I own wellies, but that comes from growing up in the Shire. It's too messy in trainers.

I might start a highly exciting blog feature entitled, "thesis update". It's pretty self-explanatory. And unsurprisingly dull. The motive is that, much like a supervisory meeting (I imagine), if I have to report something, I will have to have something to report. I'm clearly resorting to trying any motivation incentive that I can think of.

My other new pastime is power walking. Harold Bishop eat your heart out. That expression's as vile as "keep your eyed peeled". Spring has brought about new hobbies, which would be fantastic if I actually had the time for them. As soon as I can give up research (thanks again, Leeds MET, for that opportunity) I should have time for all the other things that I would like to do: learn Spanish, perfect yoga (I do have a mat and a DVD though), learn how to sleep at night, re-take up dancing, get back to the gym on a regular basis, get singing lessons, travel the world, learn to drive and re-rake up playing the saxophone. Oh, and save the planet. It appears that turning out the staff room light isn't quite as effective as I'd originally hoped. I have been debating whether I should leave a polite "please switch off" note under the light switch. Obviously I have opted for not being a total wanker, but the light-leaving-on situation is increasingly riling. Who's with me?!

Moon. xxx

*I might not win. I'm not as competitive as some, and Ak and Tom have already demonstrated their determination with the task. I'm merely exited at having a square foot of earth in front of my house that is free of rubbish. Bet it attracts rats. Ah, I love the city.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:53 am, Blogger Tombola said…

    I'm totally with you on the Psychology dept's shoddy light wastage. I got a bit guerilla on their ass in the few months before I left actually. Not sure I've ever owned up to this before (STROPPY BLOG EXCLUSIVE) but I got really into it and was turning lights off at every turn. The gents toilets being a particular fave. I did it in there once while someone was in the cubicle. There are no windows in that particular toilet (near the photocopier) and a confused 'HEY!' was called from the cubicle as I chuckled and sauntered away. I often turned them off along that corridor, and also the staircase up from it towards the phd scum offices - having them on during the day was pointless and made bugger all difference. Do you fancy continuing my legacy?

     
  • At 10:26 am, Blogger Moon said…

    Legacy well under way! Meaney knows me as the light-turner-off-er. Staff find it funny, rather than taking my "save the world" comments on board. The corridor linking the old and new bits of the dept is infuriating. It actually makes no difference at all when the lights are on in the day. Admittedly I haven't started switching off printers yet, but monitors: yes yes. I trust that Goldsmiths is an energy efficient workplace with you around, Prof.

     
  • At 1:08 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    I think youre being rather dismissive of your new job! There is nothing wrong with working for the met.
    Someone has gone all environmental on us here, as there are no lights on in the corridor today. If anyone saw me carrying my lunch back upstairs they would probably assume it was me, as my lunch today is a rather interesting shade of green. Looks like pondscum actually. However, its unlikely that anyone would have seen me because the lights are off in the corridor.

     
  • At 6:57 am, Blogger Lord G said…

    well done on the job, though I'm miffed that I'm now so out of the loop that I didn't know about it. Pah. I know the reason. You wanted to work with the virus again. You want to get into qualitative research. Stats, hypotheses and empiricism? Fuck that!

     
  • At 10:58 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    The light turning off tirade continues, although is displeasing some along the way...

    Still prolonging sending off signed contract to the MET. Thanks for reassurances, though.

    Lordie: greetings! Has been a while. You'll only be out of a loop if you're not planting sunflowers. I trust a blog update will follow shortly...?!

     
  • At 6:46 am, Blogger Lord G said…

    indeed I am back around, as now got a computer of my own (I'm a big boy now. Ahem).

    I'll try to reach the heady heights of blogorama again..

    Tell us about your job!

     
  • At 11:23 am, Blogger Moon said…

    Welcome back! Did you get a laptop? I'm looking at the moment as well, although am bitter at having to spend large amounts of money that I don't really have to spare, so am prolonging it. How's tricks?

    I don't know much about the job really. Trying not to think about it. It's a lectureship. Permanent (although hopefully not). I think in cog psy. Quite a bit of "holiday" in which to do research. Not looking forward to the teaching, but am relieved at not having to sign on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image