MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Saturday, September 13, 2008

communication error

I would appreciate advice: I have a large file that I need to get from my imac to my laptop. I am struggling knowing how to do so. It's a compressed copy of Office 2007. The file is large and therefore problematic. This is what I've done so far:

As the file is large it cannot be sent via the internet, such as through yousendit.com, sendbigfiles or dropsend (the latter of which I usually use). I tried installing new dropsend desktop software. It said the file had sent (even though it just exceeds the 1 GB limit). It hadn't.

My external hard drive 1 is not recognised by the imac.
My external hard drive 2 is, but is in a read only format (i.e. I can't add things to it). I have tried changing the permissions, both on the mac and on Windows.

I have cleared a 2 GB memory stick in order to put the file on there. The files have disappeared, but the capacity remains as it was when the files were there. I have tried wiping the stick on Windows, also. Same thing.

My other big memory stick is not being wiped - it's pretty and full of stuff too important to be lost (said stuff needs to be on a stick at all times!) Incidentally this wondrous stick would work, I know, but I just can't wipe it and be sans stick...

I have activated bluetooth on the imac. Can I find a bluetooth feature on the laptop? Can I buggery. It's a swish new vaio, but I can't locate it. Strange. I'm sure it's without the function.

I tried plugging in a USB-USB cable for direct transfer. Ever hopeful. I know it has to be a special transfer cable, with software, but macs are clever things. Not in this case however. Ditto with firewire.

I read up about gmail's immense storage capacity. Not for big files though. Just endless mini ones.

I enabled my internet connection so the laptop could use it. Why? I don't know.

There are surely other ways of getting this file transferred! What can I do? It's too big for a CD, incidentally, weighing in at 1.2 GB when compressed. The main file of importance is 1.1 GB, otherwise I would have thanked google and used the gmail option.

My final thought was this: ftp. Supposedly the ideal solution! Didn't work though... I downloaded a client, but couldn't state that the laptop was the remote PC. All quite confusing. Am at a loss! I think setting up an ftp server was a bit ambitious for little me.

Just thought: could download bittorrent or something and re-download the file directly onto the laptop I suppose. But that doesn't solve this problem directly! I must find a way to overcome...

Any ideas? Incidentally, I would rather not spend money in the process of resolving the issue. Otherwise I would have upgraded my dropsend account, bought a new large memory stick or purchased bloody Office in the first place!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:51 am, Blogger Tombola said…

    This one is way beyond me Unit, sorry. My only thoughts were 1. Yousendit and 2. use an external hard drive so once you mentioned those I was stumped. best of luck!

     
  • At 5:50 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Potential solution: nice IT man who works in the library has offered to lend me his "massive stick". Wonderful.

    It's 4 GB, incidentally ;)

     
  • At 11:19 am, Blogger Tombola said…

    Does it actually say "this contains 4 GigaBytes storage" when it's fully erect?

    Sorry...ropey attempt to crowbar in a punchline to a joke.

     
  • At 4:10 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Watch this space for images of notice boards being grafittied with USB penises. You'll see them here first!

    Oh hell I seem to have become a computer geek. At least I've advanced at an appropriate rate though - during my Masters year I used to make fun of my computer scientist housemate with endless "3 1/2 inch floppy" gags. Oh what a riot that was.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image