MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Habits

It is customary to sign off a personal email or a text with a single "x". It seems customary to end a blog with three. I think it is time for me to halt such sillinesses. It is something that has been done for years. I am not an especially soppy or affectionate person, therefore it doesn't seem necessary. I have started to distinguish between email signatures for old friends versus people I have met relatively recently, usually in a work context (as if there's a chance to meet people through any other means these days) through the presence of an x or not, respectively. The x does not reflect how well I get along with such people. I worry that the x is so automatic that I am occasionally overly affectionate with my students (as they are to me). This should not be allowed to happen.

I am therefore going to stop this nonsense once and for all. Apart from in texts. Maybe.

Moon.
no x

1 Comments:

  • At 11:49 pm, Blogger Rach said…

    Interesting point made, little sis. It certainly seems to be automatic to sign off a text with an 'x', which is fine if it is indeed a text message to someone to whom you hold some affection. For example, I will put an 'x' on the end of my messages to you, Anita, and David. I put three on birhday cards. David draws a line through his 'x's' on cards, as if to finalise the x-ing. However, it has become so customary to finish a text with an 'x' that I know I have automatically put one on the end of messages to clients when confirming appointments. I think I have realised in time and deleted. I hope - as do not want any mad people thinking I am declaring any kind of affection for them...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image