MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Excuses excuses

Quick moan: I am currently testing. I'm not sure how to deal with the students. They all seem so eagar at first (in fairness my studies are pretty cool) then they are invariably faced with some horrendous illness or "family crisis" preventing them from turning up to their scheduled timeslot. Some of them can't be arsed with the excuses; their appointments merely "don't suit them anymore". Of course I have to smile through and try to re-accommodate them, as it is I who loses out without their data. I'm not sure whether to get arsy with them and risk this. Any advice?

It is amazing how transparent their excuses are nowadays. Headaches and doctors appointments are the worst, especially when students try to feign them to me face-to-face. In these situations I don't feel so guilty about being less than sympathetic, as their acting skills are below par, to put it mildly.

Moon. xxx

6 Comments:

  • At 11:01 am, Blogger frankien said…

    Dont get stroppy (insert appropriate joke about pots and kettles here). The best way to make someone feel guilty is to act really sympathetic and keep asking them whether their cold is better (or whatever is applicable). though i'm not sure that students experience guilt. like the chair bitch I told you about!

     
  • At 11:05 am, Blogger Tombola said…

    I don't remember mine being that bad. Yeah, a few stood me up a couple of times but in the main they were all fine and interested in what was going on. So, y'know, the kids are alright.

     
  • At 11:37 am, Blogger Moon said…

    One vote for guilt (through the medium of sympathy). One for sympathy straight. Am still confused! The shitbags are interested when they turn up, and then they're all nice, too. It's just how to deal with their excuses. Ah well, they're leaving for home in about 10 days. Woohoo!

     
  • At 1:28 am, Blogger Salty Dog said…

    I never had the problem of subjects not turning up to complete testing but I think thats cos I used only post-graduates. I think the best way is to be indifferent. Being cross requires effort and as these cretins are not even nearly worth that then you just put it down to experience and ask them to be quiet as they leave.

    However, I am well versed in dealing with piss-poor excuses. Last semester I made a fairly macarbe list of people who's relatives had died the week of their final assessment. As such I was armed with the best excuse shield ever fashioned. e.g. "Oh dear oh dear, your grandad died again!".... wait for appropriate response in emotion, blushing etc then ask them to produce a death certificate which is perfectly within my power (cue evil laugh).

     
  • At 1:38 am, Blogger Lord G said…

    I'm with the fordster on this one. I gave up trying to use foreign engineering students (don't ask) as for want of a better phrase, they were all utterly gash and didn't listen to what I asked them to do. From then on I used PG students, and even better, people that I knew and couldn't bottle out of it. Ask anyone that was involved in them (and some took part in all 5 studies) and they will be sure to tell you just how enjoyable an experience it was.

     
  • At 6:57 pm, Blogger Rach said…

    How do you recruit them? Can't you stick in a sentence along the way to tug at their heart strings, and make them feel guilty if they don't turn up? Or better yet, wait til they come to you with poor excuse, be sympathetic, then keep rubbing at your wrists. When they ask what is the matter, tell them your scars are itching - you ended up slashing your wrists last time people backed out as you were so upset...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image