MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Sunday, October 15, 2006

web of science

I was roped into DIYing in Banbury this weekend. So much for my sister wanting to see me. However, it has been a nice, rural weekend. I don't usually consider rural living to be nice. Rather, I resent my deprived childhood. There really is so little to do when growing up in the middle of nowhere. This weekend, though, was relaxing and, at times, nostalgic.

I awoke on Saturday morning, bright and early (although a little achey - Cromwell the cat insists on affectionately sleeping with his paws around my neck when I go home) to a fresh October morning. My parents' garden looked a little different to normal:





I couldn't believe that there were so many spiders webs. Mother immediately told me not to blog about them in case it showed off her home to be unclean. These webs are not normally visible, though. The dew here just highlights them. Sadly I couldn't get a good enough picture of how beautiful they actually were. This is probably my best:



I know - I needed something dark behind it! Anyway, I feel bad for moaning about these little beasties in previous posts. I don't really want them all over me, but they sure are better at spiragraph than I ever was. Their webs are quite something.

After DIYing yesterday, today involved visiting my grandparents' farm. It was actually nice to see some calves (oh and my family) after living in the city for a while. We then visited a small hamlet that I have vague recollections of: we had gone conker hunting there many years ago and I had subsequently dreamed about the place, so we went to see if my memories were accurate. They pretty much were. But it was nice! Before returning to Leeds we went to the nearby farm for eggs (I had a pancake craving - when needs must...) and I was shown around the whole place. They have donkeys and peacocks as well as the usual rams etc. Next time I won't wear my best boots.

So, although I am not quite ready to trade in my relatively hectic lifestyle, a weekend in't country was quite refreshing for once. And, this is the best time of year for it. I am counting down to the end of the month when all the leaves have fallen, so I can skip through them like a child. Autumn's alright!

Moon. xxx

7 Comments:

  • At 12:52 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    Though i'd quite like to live in the big smoke for a while, I also have a yearning for a house with a big garden (that backs onto fields or other open land) and an Aga in the kitchen. With dogs.

    I've resolved that the best mix of that is to live in Sheffield. Bob's house is perfect. I don't think he'd leave it to me though. Gutted. Mind, he doesn't have an Aga.

     
  • At 9:47 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Yes, dogs a must. Sure you could get an aga for Bob's (although you have just missed out on one: my sister's sold a couple of weeks ago). And just schmooze with him a little more - he's sure to leave you his estate! I'm still not sure about the settling down in the middle of nowhere thing. I am beginning to realise that I could live in small homely towns as well as bigish cities. Perhaps the aga yearning will develop with time.

     
  • At 11:04 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    Agas are the dogs nads. Bob has two kids so doubt it. So selfish.

     
  • At 1:27 am, Blogger Salty Dog said…

    I concur Gaz, Agas are indeed the best. Superb for slow cookin and awesome for heating the house.

    I was brought up in the countryside and will definately return there. The problem for people such as ourselves that have chosen the career path that we have, the chances of me living in the countryside are slim until they open Farndale Metropolitan University Hospital... fat chance!!!

     
  • At 8:36 am, Blogger Moon said…

    Well seeing as you two now have a more realistic sense of distance I'm sure you can find somewhere commutable in the countryside. the UK's hardly that large, after all.

    As if this has turned into pro-Aga blog!

     
  • At 3:34 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    That's as Agas really are that good. Bloody expensive yes, but great. A slow-cooked chilli for instance. Even something so simple as toast done on one of the plates...

    Commuting. I did 50 mile round trips to leeds often enough so yeah it doesn't bother me too much. I'd rather not though.

     
  • At 12:20 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    Moon - beware of kicking turds when hoofing through the leaves. That's never good.

    Last Christmas I was treated to a Narnia-esque landscape while driving to mate's in Cheshire. The spider webs had ice on them and it looked like someone had been spraying silly string over all the road signs. Was much more beautiful than that sounds.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image