MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Monday, October 23, 2006

Little Britain?

So we heard about a week ago that Britain has the highest rate and incidence of obesity in Europe. This is not really surprising - take a look around. However it has also been revealed today that Britain is the most wasteful country in terms of electricity in Europe, and also has the most sexually active "children". All of these things sadden me.

The electricity thing caught my attention most of all (seeing as I am neither obese nor a sexually active child). I pride myself on being a bit of an eco-warrier (although a flimsy one to be honest) but these stories remind me how I actually do nothing to save electricity. Apart from angrily turning out the staff room light when I enter the room - there is no need for it! In addition my local council has recently been berated for dumping the contents of our recycling bins into landfills. I think this happens in many places. So what can we do? Are we at a loss here?

I write trying to rejuveninate those "you've got to DO something" attitudes which I held so dear in my teens (on my laptop by the light of the lamp, with my music playing from another room, charging my phone and iPod, with the TV on mute in the background...). However to be honest I don't think I care as much as I could. Perhaps this is the problem with with most Brits. Perhaps if it wasn't Britain it would be replaced by an alternative fat, wasteful and child-dirty nation. I feel at a loss to do anything and I recognise that this is the problem. How to get that passion back?

(No comments about hanging around with kids, please...)

Moon. xxx

12 Comments:

  • At 3:47 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    I feel a bit down about it too. Other questions nag me, like having a plastic bottle for a natural resource (water). How many bottles do we dump into a landfill just because people don't seem to drink from taps? It's the same with polystyrene cups etc.

     
  • At 4:38 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    My personal crusade at the moment is plastic bags. I'm refusing them at every opportunity. It's quite funny - some shop assistants appear absolutely disgusted that I don't require one to carry my juice, cereal bar and crisps (the cornerstones of any nutritious diet). I was really stubborn and did it once carrying about 8 items. Came very close to dropping my yogurt.

     
  • At 4:38 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    PS
    That's not a euphenism.

     
  • At 5:14 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Thanks, my lovelies. You make me feel better about the fact I left all the lights on in my flat today. [I didn't] If only we could all be so conscientious...

     
  • At 4:09 am, Blogger Salty Dog said…

    One of my very good friends did his post-doc for the British Antarctic Survey. This guy by the way was the man who got me into being an active memebr of greenpeace.

    Having done 18 months in the antarctic he came back and cancelled his subscription to greenpeace and stated categorically that you might as well not bother cos the effects of the heating of the globe are totally accelerating!!

    I am still a member tho

     
  • At 2:08 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    Edinburgh University is now offering a pay bonus if we manage to cut electricity bills over the year by shutting down computers at night. Not that that helps you. At tesco you can get green points for reusing your bags. Oh, and dont get a 4x4- which reminds me, have you seen how they might get charged more for parking now as well as road tax? I laughed.

     
  • At 6:15 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    And rightly so. Next stop, America.

     
  • At 7:37 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    Indeed, I think they should blow up any 4x4 (some aren't even 4-wheel drive these days, hence the SUV title) that doesn't have any muck on it - a sign of off-road use.

    At least you don't get redneck trucks. I'd say the most popular cars out here are the big 5.7 litre petrol engined Dodge trucks. They get about 12 miles to the gallon. They probably have a gun rack in them too. Yee hah.

     
  • At 9:44 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    I was actually frightened of the vehicles when I was in America. The bonnets were taller than I am (not a great height, admittedly). They looked like tanks. There is just no need for anything so monstrous. G - I don't know how you manage it out there.

    Anyway, I repeat my previous sentiments that I am most impressed with you all and your energy saving techniques. Am going to check out Scottish Power's options (am with them anyway) and I think you're right to stick with Greenpeace, SD - giving up is a bit of a shame.

     
  • At 9:46 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    PS Prof you would likely be horrified: I have just been sorting through some junk and have discovered about 50 carrier bags. I think some people have a tendency to save bags from nice shops, in case we are ever in need of a bag and can show off that we have once or twice bought something from Harrods. I also think that most people have a bag of bags. I know I'm not the only one. Anyway, I best get adopting your bag tactics. Bagtastic.

     
  • At 11:30 am, Blogger Lord G said…

    A 2.5L diesel engine is a bit different to a 5.7 litre petrol engine....

    When we first got here the guy at the dealership tried telling me that the 3.5 litre V6 petrol engined Mustang was economical. I politely disagreed with him.

     
  • At 4:42 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    I don't have a problem with having loads of bags at home Moon, far from it. Every home has that. I use ours as bin liners or to carry lunch/footy kit to work etc.I'm just trying to refuse them from shops unless absolutely necessary. Must have saved 5 so far this week doing that. Boots have started putting signs up saying 'help us to save the environment by not using a bag if you don't need to'. Perhaps they should show these signs to their staff - they continue to try and force them upon me, regardless of the fact that I'm only buying a packet of crisps and a yogurt.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image