MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Monday, October 02, 2006

The Lincs Effect: by Mary Whitehouse

This weekend I visited Nottingham.

I amusingly join in with the Nottingham piss-taking, at times, although I do feel that the place has a hard time. It's crime-infested sterotype came from a one-off article in the Sun about 3 years ago. If we believed everything we read, my home town would also be the easiest place to get hold of hard drugs in the country, and my old secondary school would also be the most violent of all schools. Thanks to The Guardian and the News of the World, respectively, for those snippets. Nottingham is a place that I am reasonably familiar with and on Saturday I enjoyed a lavish lunch with an old friend in my favourite restaurant, and a relaxing afternoon.

However, as is typical in my blog posts, the story takes a sorry turn. But my reason for posting is not the usual cathasis; today I would like some advice.

In order of celebrating a friend's birthday, 7 girls from Lincoln arrived in Nottingham for a meal and a boogie. Although I wasn't particularly in the mood, it is always great to see my close friends, and so I was looking forward to a drink or two and a chat. However, I was utterly appalled at the behaviour of some of the people in the pubs and club that I'm afraid I didn't have a great time at all.

After our meal we went for a drink in a busy bar. A middle aged man was dancing nearby and stuck his lardy bum on my friend's back for a while (we were sat down - she is not just incredibly tall. Actually, she is quite tall...). As I do not take kindly to men leering about I promptly told him that he had no right to do this and should stop being so vile. He reacted by swearing profusely at me and dancing off like a wanker. His friend apologised, and I was mildly calmed. However my friend who had been on the receiving end of this arse jive looked embarrassed for me having kicked up a stink. This really riles me: men have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to drape their hands (or arses) on people. It is precisely because people do not berate them enough that they think it is OK to do it. Once we had arrived at the club, I almost got in fights 4 more times. I'm not saying that the female genre do not partake in groping behaviours themselves from time to time, but I began studying this behaviour and the men certainly were leering for most of the time. I was mightily offended. The worst thing was that as soon as I would politely(ish) inform these men as to the error of their ways, they would look at me as if I had no right to do so, and I was the rude one.

Now I know I don't go out dancing as often as I used to, but I can scarely believe that things have changed this much over the past few months. I am outraged by the females who find it complimentary when dirty men drape themselves about. I am disgusted by the fact that you cannot go out just for a dance anymore: activity in clubs consist of mating rituals only. And finally, I am absolutely horrified by this:




Yes, folks, it's a machine selling not only thongs (in case you're wearing your big pants when you get lucky, or your other cheap diamante thong snaps) but also... pregnancy tests. My mother only recently discovered that you can buy vibrators from machines in some public toilets. I, too, find this a little odd. However she has also informed me that you can buy spray on pheromones. And I don't mean the Ramones' tribute band (sp. PheRamones, though, of course). I worry where these pheromones came from. Anyway, I think that Nottingham's pregnancy tests are a whole new milestone in the downward trajectory of vileness.

So, my questions to you are as follows: am I out of touch with the going out thang? Is it just Nottingham (I certainly doubt it)? Is this a natural reaction that matures with age? Or am I just an arsy prude?

Moon. xxx

11 Comments:

  • At 6:15 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    Crikey. Moon blog covers the big issues. Great pun title by the way.

    Erm, some things to say that don't actually attempt to answer your questions but are related:

    1. i think my mate might have once purchased some of those pheromones. he definitely considered it.
    2. the same mate's brother once provided some sage advice when we were younger and bemoaning our lack of pullage: boys go to clubs to pull, girls go to dance.
    3. did anyone try and fight you when you got your camera out in the toilet and started snapping away?

     
  • At 6:18 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    another thing - you were studying 'leering behaviour'. I believe that's called 'lekking' - speak to Colin Hendrie. He'll tell you all about it, the rotter.

     
  • At 6:23 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    The only time i've seen pheramones used was in Bottom.

    I've never touched a girl up like that, it's asking for a slap, drink over the head, or (if you're in barnsley) either a smashed glass in your face, or pulling a fat trout.

     
  • At 6:25 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    Remember Gaz, a dog is for life, not just Friday night.

    A joke that I'm sure will go down well in response to a pro-feminist blog!

     
  • At 6:31 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    So to flip this one back atcha moonfish, do you take the same view of women touching men up? What about dancing close to them and integrating it that way?

    Also (to be devil's advocate) what if you were the recepient of a grope like that, but when you turned around you realised that it was the most gorgeous bloke on earth? Would you kick off at him, or sweep it under the carpet?

    I'm not advocating it by the way, as I think it's a silly way to go. I bet the virus has contaminated more than a few girls through physical contact however.

     
  • At 7:51 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    1) People thought I was a little odd for snapping away at the pregnancy test machine, yes, but no fights there. I saved that for the letchy men.
    2) I shall believe you re: Colin Hendrie's wisdom. I have a hunch that he and I would well disagree over this issue and its "function".
    3) Re: women touching men up: yes I feel exactly the same, of course. It's sick and wrong.
    4) Your scenario, G, of fittie doing the letching, has happened to me. I admit it was a bit of a fight, but I maintained my fighting spirit. Groping is wrong. Almost lamped my mate when she tapped me on the hip with a drink, on Sat. I turned round quickly and had angry face on. She looked frightened. I felt tough.
    5) Am resisting making a "pheromones were used in your bottom?" comment.
    6) thanks for comments, lads!

     
  • At 10:26 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    You pervert Moon. You took something I said and twisted it in your little sordid way. It's people like you that touch up people in pubs....

     
  • At 4:55 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    to answer your question seriously, there are many clubs where you need to make sure you dont make eye contact with anyone on the way in. because if you do, this is a blatant come-on on your part. and so it is normal in certain establishments. Try not to get into any fights with people, just pull a disgusted face- surely that would shoot down anyone's ego? yeah, probably not, youre right. Heres my tip- go out to posh bars after work on a Friday as the work crowds might be there. Saturday night, not such good pickings

     
  • At 5:16 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    I avoid such problems by drinking on my own in the apartment. That's right, I lead such a great life. Strap on your seatbelt...

     
  • At 12:33 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Thanks for advice Dr Newman - you're right. Posh bars around 4pm onwards on a Friday are best, in my experience. The ego comment - this is what amazed me. You tell someone they are vile and they look at you as if they can't believe it. What confidence! Maybe I should stop being so picky... Anyway, sofa is a favourite place to hang out at present. And it's milk rather than booze, too. What a drink!

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    well if you like to drink milk with your cat I know a great album of songs for you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image