MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dr. Who?

After a typical discussion with a friend earlier about the trials and tribulations of postgraduate life, I wondered whether the stress that we put ourselves under is totally worth it. The PhD is indeed a rollercoaster; on a bad day tasks seem insurmountable and you wonder what on earth this is being accomplished for. On a good day, or after a good meeting, you can feel as if you can cope with anything that life throws your way. I guess we all wonder whether it would be easier to sign up for some well paying graduate scheme as opposed to going through all of this, but I imagine the stability of the 9-5 would be dull. I have convinced myself that the highs are worth it, and you need the shit days to put it all in perspective, but then I wonder if this PhD is bringing on neurotic behaviour.

All I want is to fill in a form and strike out "Ms" and tick "other: Dr". How I long for that day... Hope it will be worth this rollercoaster!

Moon.xxx

1 Comments:

  • At 1:43 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    I too kept thinking of that as one way of getting through it.

    Actually, to make it better, you need to imagine potential future scenarios, and how the title will help.

    I used mine in a rather smug manner. A fine example of a 'customer service' person was speaking to me as if I was a fluffer.... When I politely disagreed with him on a certain aspect of the 'service', he said "blah blah blah Mr", at which point I stopped him dead, stating, "it's Dr to you", and then launched into a full blown tirade at his lack of competence. I thought he was going to cry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image