MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Sunday, September 10, 2006

"And now, with her interesting presentation on dreams..."

I went to (yet another) conference this week: BPS Cognitive in Lancaster. Firstly, Lancaster is an odd place. Where is it? (Yes I do know, really. Remember my morbid fascination with maps and train times? I'm considering progressing to motorways, soon.) You travel for hours through hills and end up in an odd little town that is all campus and river. On the first night a few friends recommended going to a "really lovely pub". It was an It's A Scream, that let us take in a takeaway pizza to scoff in front of the footie. Really lovely?! Anyway a few cognitive psychologists were kicking about so a fun time was had by all. Hmm.

I gave my first 30 min presentation, which went reasonably well, despite the fact the chair had started late (because she was talking shit to someone) and ended it on time, thus leaving virtually no time for questions. However I was offended at being placed in the comedy session near the end of the conference in the shittest room in the university. I had an audience of about 9 and was followed by a bizarre man that had everyone in stitches for all the wrong reasons. I presented on dreams. He presented on magic. Sans tricks. It was a shambles. Thanks, BPS, for taking the piss of my research.

At least I know I'll go down better next weekend at the BPS Consciousness and Experiential Section Conference, where everyone presents through the medium of dance. I'm a scientist to them!

To reiterate a recent previous post: why is it we do this, again?

Ah yes, conference dinners.

Moon.xxx

3 Comments:

  • At 2:02 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    I've got two papers at Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES) 50th conference, in San Francisco next month. It runs Monday - Friday. I have a poster on Tuesday (I might stand near it occasionally), and then my oral presentation is in the comedy slot, last thing on Friday. They've also put me in the wrong area as well, so nobody will care at all.

    I'm then due to present at HFES Europe Chapter meeting in Sheffield in Nov. This is 3 days, and everyone is in one room. Lord Hockey will also be there, as will all the uber-impressive Dutch contingent. To say I'm papping it is an understatement.

     
  • At 2:19 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    at least you get to visit the North, though - not all bad!

    Bastards with the comedy slots. It is cruel.

     
  • At 2:22 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    I actually don't mind. I need to get my confidence up for the papping session.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image