MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

just a catch up

Hi all,

Just a quick note to apologise for having been away a lot recently. Things have been incredibly busy. Here's a summary of what's been going on:

Work work work. Own fault for deciding to present something in a couple of weeks that took 18 months to data-collect, then leaving 1 week to analyse. It has not been fun. Getting there, pretty much.

House move - new big digs, woo! However it has been necessary to communicate with non-social entities such as NTL in order to ensure I have telly in't new place (still haven't incidentally. Haven't seen BB in almost a week!). I know this is one for Munch's blog, really, but NTL are something else. After pressing 4 then 2 then 5 then 1 then 7 to get to the appropriate department, plugging in your account number and telephone number, they then tell you that they're closed. Eventually I get through to arrange a date for re-installation, and whilst on hold I am told every 30 seconds that I can use their new online service. No, I can't. It's shite. 43 mins later (honestly) I've got an appointment. Last time they turned up some bloke blocked my toilet. It was horrendous. I should probably have opted for a different company.

Football, of course - it ought to get a mention. Now I'm not going to pretend that I'm either a fan, especially, or knowledgeable in the ways of the game, but I do enjoy a good match every now and then. And I like the pint drinking that goes along with it. But this has become a little excessive of late. People turn into hilarious beings over the World Cup. I've recently discovered that trying to console the Scouser who threw his pint at the big screen with "don't worry, mate, it's only a game" does not often have desired effects. But on the whole peopl are in good spirits. Grown men hug one another and there are parties in the streets. Until the fights kicked in (literally) in Headingley the other night. Anyway, no profound comments on footie from here but it has been taking up quite a bit of time. I had a picture but I don't think I'm going to have time to get it on here before I go... one guy had a "we all 8 Saddam" England T-shirt. What a patriotic hero.

Oh by the way, is it really necessary for players to spit so much? It's not very nice. The pitch must get really slippery by minute 90.

Finally, before signing off, I will say my goodbyes as may well not be able to blog or comment for a while. Am off to Nottingham on Saturday to teach for the OU for a week, then on the last day of teaching, inevitably hungover, it's a quick suitcase swap with the parents and then off to Heathrow, Sydney bound! Will be back in early Aug.

Speak soon, peeps!

Much love,
Moon. xxx

18 Comments:

  • At 2:51 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    Bon voyage!

    See you on the other side (of the world)

    x

     
  • At 5:01 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    I don't get emotional over sport too much these days; I think it's a function of having worked within sport and having to be completely cold about everything.

    Example: Straight after the England game, I turned the tv off, told P that Ericson got what he deserved, and made a cup of tea. Within seconds I was thinking about what time the Tour de France came on in the morning.

    Have a good trip. I'll just stay here whilst you lot jet across the world. Selfish f****ers.

    G x

     
  • At 10:59 am, Blogger frankien said…

    I HATE the tour de france. its so boring!!!!

     
  • At 3:47 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Yes Tour de France is pretty samey, so would opt for Wimbles as a footie alternative. Do you get Wimbles coverage from your beach palace, Gaz?

    Thanks for good wishes. Journey begins tomorrow morning with a hefty trek to Nottingham for a week. Place of gun crime and none-accents. It's half Woodhouse, half Lincoln. I think I've just convinced myself not to go...

    bye bye. xxx

     
  • At 4:50 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    Nope and I'd prefer the TdF to be honest. If you don't like it, you don't understand it. It's the same with people that hate cricket.

     
  • At 3:03 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    Youre right, I just dont understand the tour de france. A race? On bicycles?! Nah, its far too complex for my simple mind.

     
  • At 12:36 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    You have to understand the importance of the domestiques, for instance...

     
  • At 12:37 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    ok, I'll let you win that one because I have no idea what they are.

     
  • At 2:10 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    You made domestiques up!

    I don't think there's much to understand about cricket, either. Those who enjoy watching it admit they do so primarily for the ber and sun. And that's fair enough. Speaking of which, I'm off to enjoy an afternoon off in the sunshine. Notts isn't so bad after all it seems!

     
  • At 2:13 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    Nottingham is very nice! I dont know why you ever doubted it. If youre really lucky, you might bump into Lea. well, at least if you do, its not likely to hurt.

     
  • At 4:14 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    Also look up 'peleton'.

    Both words were actually chosen by a group to be titles of their albums. I think the group were favourites of John Peel actually. Perhaps he also was a le Tour fan...

    The prologue is in London next year. I fancy a full day of ale and watching it. Tom?

     
  • At 4:24 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    I am aware of the Delgados, thank you Gaz! And just to get you back for being patronising, I think you'll find the word is spelt 'peloton'.

    You've still not quite convinced me that its not just a cycling race.

     
  • At 4:26 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    I didn't think that was patronising.... I was trying to stimulate interest in it (as much chance of seeing rocking horse shit i suspect) and also mentioning the band thing as a 'by the way'.... I didn't know their name, I just remember reading it somewhere.

     
  • At 4:28 pm, Blogger frankien said…

    ok, I apologise for being grouchy then.

    so what are domestiques then? convince me to watch le tour. is it still on channel four with the awful graphics at the start and the music that is actually frere Jacques?

     
  • At 4:36 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    How I have missed all of this debate? I'm with G-Lord - le Tour is great. I like the Delgados and was sad when they split.

    Ladytron have the line:
    "Kept your wheel in the midday sun/then saved your place in the peloton" although it sounds a bit like 'kicked your wheel' now that I listen more closely.

    The music and graphics that Munch refers to were skill - I was sad when they went too. It's not on 4 either - bastard ITV took it on and then stuck it on ITV2. Fucking nice one, you bunch of cretins.

     
  • At 4:40 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    Being that I cannot get Channel 4 from here, then I can't check that. The last time I watched it at home (and I'm a recent convert given that I started in 2004) it was on ITV 2 I think.

    I think this is a pretty accuracte, if a little in-depth, explanation..

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_domestique

     
  • At 4:42 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    Free view boxes can get ITV2. I should add that a bonus of watching it is to see the French countryside and all the chateaus etc. That IS a bonus when stuck in this vaccuous shit pit, but perhaps not as appealing for them residing in the beauty that is Edinbrough.

     
  • At 10:00 am, Blogger Tombola said…

    Another Delgados/cycling link that no one has mentioned: they are named after this man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Delgado

    I think. I was also fond of the "Kronenbourg seize cent soixante quatre, sponsor le tour de france" spoken by a lugubrious Frenchman

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image