MoonMind

Musings, Moonings, Mindings, and some other shit as well

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

genuine students

This post is a reflection upon a typical 1pm-ish trip to the Chiller in the Union, and all the typical student activity that accompanies it.

Students are hilarious. I am still one, and I'm pretty damn funny. But I hope to have passed the "typical student" phase of my life, which I shall describe shortly. However the mess in which I lived as an undergraduate, drug fuelled though it was, was masked by the fact my stupidly rich housemates would just throw away their crockery once used and buy new stuff if they could ever be arsed to leave their hash den. So, the typicality of the University of Durham with its bi-weekly formal dinners (you HAVE to wear gowns), pretentiousness and historic beauty is not quite on a par with that of the University of Leeds. Leeds is more down to earth, and I like it that way. It's honest. (However, see point #2 below.)

#1
So, yesterday, upon walking into the Union I seemed to be caught in the middle of an exceptionally loud conversation. There's no need to display your social confidence by standing at opposite ends of the Union for a chat, now. A girl (if at Durham she'd be an ethno-rah) was trying to convince Mr. Bohemia 2006 to go to a night at the Fav called Global Chaos. "It will be totally wicked" she was saying, to which the braided-bearded man responded "yeah, I'll, like, totally be there". He won't. And when did Leeds to into California? Anyway, active typical students seem to spend their time putting 2 lefty sounding words together and creating nights at the Fav. Better than sitting in a hash den, which is what they do on nights off.

#2
After this encounter I paid for my goods and waited for my friends to do the same. At which point I was stood uncomfortably close to a group of girls (Psychologists, as it happens) who were the epitome of OTT. I presume they had given up sugary goods for Lent or something, likely because it gives them something to moan about in an OTT way. One particlarly fashion-conscious lass was opening a Flump, to which the other replied, (and I cannot emphasise the volume enough) "OhmiGod you sooooo can't eat that in front of me..." which sparked off a conversation lacking in content or interest. Much like a Flump. The honesty of Leeds can be overshadowed when you rarely leave campus.

Students years are such an important time of life, socially, that conformity studies should be done in Universities rather than on the Forces. Honestly, the shit these kids come out with!

I am aware of the irony with this blog entry, by the way.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:51 pm, Blogger Tombola said…

    Although I am part of KCL, we are so far removed from any students that I very rarely come across that sort of annoying garbage anymore. I'll let you know if I ever start to miss it.

    I have to point something out about Leeds though Moon - you're obviously not aware that Devonshire Hall has formal dinners once a month. Gown wearing was compulsory at those too (although you could get a crap tea if you didn't want to go and went to the dining hall before the formal dinner). Devonshire was really quite amusing in its attempts to rise above the other Leeds halls. We had a 'quad' and everything.

     
  • At 1:20 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Wow - I stand corrected! Must be where that ethno-rah lives. And a quad is a must. St. Chads (my old college) put a roof over its famous quad, which caused a right uproar!

    Devonshire just need to advertise garden parties (expensive Summer dresses, posh hats, strawberries and champagne in college gardens by the river) then it'll be home from home!

    Cheers Tombola! x

     
  • At 10:10 pm, Blogger Lord G said…

    People here speak like that all the time. You've hit the nail on the head really.. it's because they are devoid of anything interesting to say, so they fill up their sentances with a cross between shite and terms of indefinite reference...

    I like, so totally go to great pains to point out the error of their ways...

    Hello Moon by the way. We have met, though I don't remember you being a satelite of the earth then.

     
  • At 2:04 pm, Blogger Moon said…

    Cheers, Lord G. salutations to you too! Not sure how you stand living amongst people who take 7 sodding hours to get a sentence out. Don't you want to slap them? Get back t'North, I say.

     
  • At 12:48 am, Blogger Lord G said…

    Hey lady. If I could get away with slapping them, I'd have serious chaffing on my palms. And not for the reason that Tom has the same problem.

    I'd be happy being back in UK, even if it was with all the shandy drinking pufters, like Shak.... ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
image